Which protein is better when gaining weight thin: advice from trainers
Asthenic ectomorph beginners who came to the “rocking chair” to build muscle should be prepared not only to follow the training and recovery scheme. To change the somatotype of the physique, you will also have to follow a diet and take sports nutrition supplements, primarily protein. In this article, we will talk about which protein is best for gaining lean mass, drawing on the experience of bodybuilding coaches and scientific research on this topic, published in the US National Institutes of Health Library and the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition.
Daily protein intake for thin people with weight gain
During muscle building, lean beginners in bodybuilding, both men and women, are advised to consume 250-300 g of Sports Nutrition protein per day. At the same time, the same amount of protein should be obtained from ordinary products.
The best protein for lean people
The best type of protein for gaining muscle mass for asthenic ectomorphs, which are called “skinny” or hard gainers in the “rocking chair”, does not exist. It is important for them to create conditions for constant replenishment of the amino acid pool in the blood. For this:
- whey protein is taken 3-5 minutes after waking up, which protects the muscles from the inevitable morning catabolism
- gainer is drunk
- 1 serving – 1 hour before training
- 1 serving – 15-20 minutes after the start of the lesson
- Single serving – immediately after the end of the training
- 4 servings – between meals
- a complex protein should be drunk 30 minutes before bedtime, which will protect muscle tissue from nightly catabolism and allow beginners to gain twice as much muscle mass as white fast-twitch FTG fibers, which are of paramount importance in bodybuilding.
It is better for ectomorphs to buy a gainer that is enriched with amino acids, keratin, and other substances that enhance the anabolic effect. If you bought a “regular” gainer, which contains only carbohydrates and proteins, then 30-10 minutes before the start of strength training, you should take a portion of BCAA. It has been proven that the combination of strong physical activity with the presence in the blood of a sufficient amount of proteins and BCAA amino acids increases muscle protein synthesis in healthy adults.
Not only proteins
Even regular intake of sports nutrition proteins according to the above scheme will not give a positive increase in muscle mass in thin people if they do not follow the following rules:
- Strength training – 3 times a week, preferably in the evening.
- Cardio loading – 10-20 minute high-intensity sessions, exclusively and only after strength training.
- The number of meals is 5-7 times a day, and 70% should be eaten before 16:00, and 1 meal should be 1.5 hours before, and 1 meal after 1.5 hours after training.
- The balance of BJU is 50/20/30, with the rejection of fast carbohydrates in favor of slow ones and the inclusion of a vitamin-mineral complex in the menu.
- Drinking regime – 3-4 liters of fluid per day.
And in conclusion, we want to clarify that in order to effectively gain muscle mass for thin people, it is especially important to control the calorie content of the menu, gradually increasing it until weight gain reaches 600–800 g per week.
If the percentage of fat in the body has reached 15 in men and 20 in women, then you should move from mass gain to relief formation. When the fat level drops to 10%, you can start a new cycle of mass gain.
Sources: research, scientific publications
- Juha Halmi. Effect of protein/essential amino acids and resistance training on skeletal muscle hypertrophy: an example of whey protein. 2010.
- Stuart M. Phillips. The Science of Muscular Hypertrophy: Dietary Protein Counting. 2011.
- Yehuda Shenfeld. The effect of protein on muscle strength and hypertrophy: a mathematical analysis. 2013.
- Jorn Trommelin. Resistance exercise increases the rate of muscle protein synthesis after meals during the night. 2016.